Do you know PCOS can be a cause of unwanted hair growth in your face and body?
Unwanted hair growth is one of the distressing symptoms of PCOS. This is also known as Hirsutism.
Generally, women have thin, light-coloured, barely noticeable hairs called vellus hairs on their faces and some parts of their bodies. They particularly grow on the chin, upper part of the lips, abdomen, and chest. These are also called the peach fuzz formed during early childhood.
In women with Hirsutism, these hairs are thick, dark, and visible. The major reason for this unwanted hair growth is an imbalance in the growth hormones of women. And, the imbalance in hormones is majorly due to PCOS or PCOD.
What is PCOS?
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a common condition that occurs in women due to various reasons. Women with PCOS secrete higher levels of androgen hormones or male hormones than the normal level. This hormonal imbalance can disturb the menstrual cycle leading to irregular periods. Not every woman with PCOS suffers from irregular periods though. The symptoms of PCOS can vary in each individual.
How does PCOS cause unwanted hair growth?
A recent study says that about 70%- 80% of women with PCOS suffer from hirsutism.
Women with PCOS secret high levels of male hormones or androgen hormones. This imbalance in the hormones causes various issues one of which is male pattern hair growth.
The androgen hormone which is secreted in large quantities than required levels stimulates hair growth in certain areas and transforms the invisible vellus hair into thick noticeable hair. And thus, the areas in which the hair growth happens becomes sensitive to androgen hormones.
Androgen-sensitive areas of hair growth include:
- Upper lip
- Beard area
- Lower abdomen
- Inner thighs
- Lower back
Is PCOS the ONLY reason for your unwanted hair growth?
No, PCOS can’t always be blamed for your unwanted hair growth. There could be other reasons for unwanted hair growth.
But how do we find if PCOS is the culprit?
Below are a few ways to find if PCOS is the real reason for your unwanted hair growth (make sure you consult with your gynaecologist who will prescribe you the right test ):
- Physical examination by your physician
- Blood tests
- Look out for other symptoms of PCOS along with hirsutism.
Below are the symptoms of PCOS/PCOD to look out for if you are suffering from unwanted hair growth.
Some of the other symptoms of PCOS
- Missing or no periods
- Sudden weight gain/weight loss
- Mood swings
- Abnormal appetite
- Male pattern baldness
- Acne or oily skin
- Large ovaries
Effects of unwanted hair growth
It is reported that most women with PCOS/PCOD suffer from unwanted hair growth. The unwanted hair growth catches many women off guard. +
This can have a bad effect on women’s overall mental health. Some women may even go into stress and depression due to the appearance of facial hair.
Women with Hirsutism may have low self-esteem and often struggle to socialize.
Can Hirsutism be cured?
Can the unwanted hairs on my face and body be cured? This could be a nagging question in the minds of many women with PCOS/PCOD.
Unwanted hair growth on the face and body due to PCOS can be improved and managed effectively if proper care is taken. In some rare cases, hirsutism can also be cured to some level with proper care and treatment. Many women with PCOS are reported to be handling the unwanted hair growth effectively.
How can you treat unwanted hair growth?
- Electrolysis is a method in which a fine needle is inserted into the hair follicle to completely stop its ability to grow.
- Laser Therapy is another popular method to remove unwanted hair growth. In this, a beam of light is passed through the follicles of unwanted hairs to destroy them and prevent them from growing into thick hair.
- Medications are prescribed by physicians to treat the unwanted body and facial hair.
The above methods are popular in general hair removal treatment and are also used by most women with PCOS/ PCOD to remove unwanted hair. However, there are certain disadvantages or risks involved in using these methods,
- Safety is not assured
- The process can be painful
- Permanent solution is not guaranteed as your androgen level may induce hair growth again and again.
- As the above methods operate by destroying the hair follicles, there could be potential side effects caused by these methods like irritation and redness in the areas exposed to laser/electrolysis.
- Low or no efficacy.
So, what is the way to remove your unwanted hair growth without being worried about the side effects?
The easy, effective and safe way to treat Hirsutism is to treat the root cause of the problem which is PCOS and PCOD. And the good news is, that PCOD/PCOS is manageable. Below are some ways to manage PCOS in a natural and effective process.
Ways to manage PCOS
- Workout every day as it is a proven way to manage PCOS effectively.
- Home workouts and yoga can greatly assist in keeping PCOS in check. Yoga experts can guide you through the right asanas which can aid in weight loss during PCOS.
- A brisk walk for at least 30 minutes in a day or intense physical activity is also found to improve PCOS symptoms.
- Have a healthy diet- A low-calorie, low-fat and high-protein diet is the preferred diet for women with PCOS.
- Physicians also advise cutting dairy products and including fruits and vegetables in your regular diet.
- Processed food, white sugar, and refined flour must be avoided when you have PCOS as they may directly affect the blood glucose level.
- Seeds like chia seeds, flax seeds, and sunflowers seeds are rich in fibre and antioxidants which help in losing body weight.
- While natural remedies can improve PCOS symptoms, some women may require medication under the supervision of a physician to manage the symptoms and avoid health complications.
If you are suffering from hirsutism or unwanted hair growth on your face and body, you are NOT alone there are thousands of women who suffer from this issue and there are thousands of other women who effectively manage the unwanted hair by handling their PCOD/PCOS.
If want to lose your PCOS weight, checkout Fitbee’s PCOD/PCOS plan for customized diet, one-one support, PCOS/PCOD workout plans, and much more.
Also, check out our customers’ feedback and how they have benefitted from our PCOS/PCOD plan.